If you or your child plays sports, Dr. Feinstein recommends that you wear an athletic mouth guard, especially if you are also receiving orthodontic treatment. This specialized oral appliance helps minimize your risk of a sports-related injury to your teeth and mouth so that you can play with complete confidence.
What is an athletic mouth guard
An athletic mouth guard, also known as a sports guard or mouthpiece, is a crucial piece of protective equipment designed to safeguard the oral health of athletes during various sports and physical activities.
These specialized appliances are typically made of durable materials such as silicone or ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) to provide cushioning and protection for the teeth, gums, lips and jaw. Athletic mouth guards serve as a protective barrier, absorbing and dispersing the force of impact to reduce the risk of dental injuries, including fractures, knocked-out teeth and soft tissue damage. A custom mouth guard can also help prevent head injuries.
Athletic mouth guards are usually required equipment for high-contact sports, but are also beneficial to those participating in low-contact or individual athletic activities as well..
What types of sports guards are available?
There are three primary types of athletic mouth guards available, each offering different levels of protection and customization:
Stock Mouth Guards
- Prefabricated and ready-to-wear.
- Inexpensive but offers limited comfort and protection.
- Available in various sizes but not customizable to individual mouth shapes.
Boil-And-Bite Mouth Guards
- Made from thermoplastic material.
- Can be customized at home by softening in boiling water and then biting down to create a mold.
- Provides better fit and protection compared to stock mouth guards.
Custom-Fitted Mouth Guards
- Professionally crafted by our orthodontist.
- Tailored to fit the unique contours of the athlete’s mouth.
- Offers the highest level of comfort and protection.
How do I take care of my appliance?
Proper care and maintenance of your athletic mouth guard are essential for ensuring its longevity and effectiveness:
- Rinse with cool water before and after each use.
- Brush the mouth guard gently with a toothbrush and mild soap or mouthwash.
- Store it in a well-ventilated container to prevent bacterial growth.
- Avoid exposing the mouth guard to high temperatures or direct sunlight.
- Inspect it regularly for signs of wear and tear, and replace it if damaged.
- Ensure it fits properly, as changes in your dental structure may require adjustments.
By selecting the right type of sports guard and following these care instructions, athletes can protect their oral health and reduce the risk of sports-related dental injuries, allowing them to focus on their performance with peace of mind.
Schedule An Appointment
We invite you to call Feinstein 360 Orthodontics today at 804-735-0365 to find out more about the benefits of athletic mouth guards in Chesterfield, Virginia, and schedule your appointment with our experienced orthodontist.Schedule Your Complimentary Consultation, No Referral Needed!